Storm Creek's Sustainable Clothing Story
April 20, 2023
Storm Creek CEO Teresa Fudenberg joins WCCO to share how and why we make quality eco-apparel out of recycled plastic water bottles.
- The fashion industry is the world’s second-largest polluter. We’re in a “fast fashion” culture where some items are only worn a handful of times before ending up in a landfill.
- Add to that the problem of 480 billion plastic water bottles used every year.
- We use millions of those recycled plastic bottles to make our apparel. The bottles are broken down into plastic chips, then into smaller flakes, beads and finally spun into polyester yarn.
- The key is to be sure these yarns perform well in our apparel, while at the same time being soft and cozy.
- Our mission is to help consumers understand what sustainable fashion is all about and be able to live sustainably themselves.
- Storm Creek has been around since 2006. We’re a unique business: woman-owned, a percentage of our profits goes to charity and we produce amazing eco-made products.
To learn more, read:
- From Bottle to Better: How We Turn Plastic Bottles Into Clothing
- Sustainability School: How to Recycle Plastic
- Outdoor Recreation and Sustainability